Δ

 

Location map:
Location Map stjameschurch Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church

St. James’ Church

The oldest Anglican church in the Southern Hemisphere

You can’t trample infidels when you’re a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look.
Terry Pratchett, Small Gods{3}

blank

Built in 1774 St. James’ Church is the oldest Anglican church in the Southern Hemisphere

This page is in indexes: Island Structures Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ ChurchIsland Structures, Island History Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ ChurchIsland History, Island ACTIVITY Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ ChurchIsland Activity, Island Detail Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ ChurchIsland Detail

St. James’ Church Saint Helena Island Info

St. James’ is one of our many interesting historic churches.

Top Twenty things to do Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church

Exploring our churches and other built heritage is one of our Top Twenty things to do during a visit to St Helena.

Top Twenty things to do Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church

Below: Tower / Spire / Neither / SpireOrganOther viewsAn American Altar?All creatures, great and smallWhy was St. Paul’s the Cathedral?Read More

Please note: this website does not encourage, promote or advocate any faith or religious belief. religious buildings are described below solely in terms of their interest as historic buildings or examples of more modern architecture.

St. James’ sign Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church

St. James’ Church is situated in Jamestown and is the oldest Anglican Church in the southern hemisphere; the present building was put up in 1774

The current structure replaced an earlier building dating from 1671, sited where Nos. 1, 2 and 3 Main Street now stand, that had fallen into disrepair. The Records for 30th September 1678 note that The Church suffered damage by the extreme heat of the weather. To be examined and repaired. The repairs evidently worked, but only for a few years: there is no further mention of ‘the Church in the Fort’ in the Records until 1711 when the wardens seek to improve the church yard. They are told it would be better to direct their efforts into repairing the Church itself. In 1714 it is noted that a Mr Tomlinson has contributed £150 towards a new Church but nothing happened and the following year the structure was described as worse in appearance than a poor man’s Barn. Still nothing was done and in 1732 the churchwardens reported that The Chappell in the Fort is so much out of repair that it is shameful a place set apart for the celebration of divine service and in open view of strangers, especially of foreign nations.

Building of the replacement began in October 1772. The accounts for the construction show the usul entries - salaries, materials - and also 10 gallons of Arrack for the workmen! It was reported almost complete on 4th April 1774. It opened later in the year.

It seems the new Church was doomed to the same negect that was suffered by its predecessor. On 4th October 1862 the roof fell in, probably due to the action of White Ants and the church was closed until July 1866.

The clock was imported into the Island in 1787 although it wasn’t originally in the church tower; until 1843 it was in the Court building across the road. It is no longer reliable. The organ dates from the early 20th Century, and was restored in 2009. The entire building was restored, including replacing the asbestos roof with iron coated sheets, and repainted (light grey) in 2012{4}.

One of the 2008 Seven Wonders of St Helena Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church

St. James’ is designated as a Grade I listed building and was one of the 2008 Seven Wonders of St Helena (but not one of the 2018 set). Maintenance is a continual problem - there has been a ‘Restoration Fund’ since at least the 1980s (and probably for some time before that!) - see the article below.

You can download a leaflet about St. James’ and also one about the bells and clock{a}

Hear the bell of St. James’ Church:

Click here to hear this audio file

Click To listen Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church

End and original tower of St. James’ Church 1798 Saint Helena Island Info
End and original tower of St. James’ Church, 1798{b}

Tower / Spire / Neither / Spire 

The 1774 building had a square tower, which was declared unsafe by G.W. Melliss{5} in 1835 and taken down in 1843. It was replaced by a spire, but this too became unsafe and was taken down at the end of March 1980.

Stone from Spire Taken to Rupert’s
Last Friday, 21st November, the stone from the demolished spire that had been laying in front of St. James’ Church for months was removed by the Public Works Department to the crusher site at Rupert’s. The amount removed is estimated in the region of 55 tons. It is hoped that this stone will form the basis for erecting a small church at Rupert’s Valley.{c}

The actual church built at Rupert’s in 1995 is made of concrete blocks (as are most modern houses on St Helena); only the Foundation Stone is actually from the old spire. Some of the spire-stone was also used to fabricate the Walcott Memorial in the church garden; more was used in the conversion of the old Power House to accommodate the Museum of St Helena.

A replacement spire, constructed to reduce weight to 5.5 tonnes with an aluminium frame faced with plywood and stainless steel sheeting on the exterior, was expected to be fitted in December 2014, but planning permission was not granted until November 2015; erection took place on 4th September 2016. The steeple is 16.3m high{6} with a lightning-protected weather vane on top{7}. The main photo (above) shows the church with its new spire, which will be floodlit for special occasions.

The original tower

1815 drawing Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
1815 drawing

Watercolour 1815 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Watercolour, 1815{d}

1815 painting Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
1815 painting{e}

Sainson c.1840s Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Sainson, c.1840s

 

The first spire

The ‘Rollers’ of 1846 showing the spire Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
The ‘Rollers’ of 1846, showing the spire

c.1890 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
c.1890

1942 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
1942{1}

1962 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
1962

1963 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
1963{2}

Removing the spire 1980 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Removing the spire, 1980

 

The current spire, erected September 2016

Erection Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
{f}

Erection Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
{g}

Closeup Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church

Full Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
{h}

 

The Organ 

The organ at St. James’ is worthy of note. Known to have been installed by Canon Walcott in 1914, it was constructed by the Positive Organ Company for a price of £205 and dedicated by Bishop Holbech on 21st October 1914. Today it is probably the oldest functioning pipe organ of its type in tropical and sub-tropical climes, its leather and wooden construction being particularly vulnerable to hot climates.

Although the air required is now electrically pumped, the organ was originally manually pumped. A pump operator sat behind the organ, and when the organist wished to begin playing a pedal was pressed which caused a flag to be raised at the back, signalling that pumping should begin. It is said that one pump operator fell asleep at his post and was concussed by the raising of the flag!

The organ underwent a major refurbishment in July 2009 at a cost of around £3,000, and at the time of writing fund-raising is in progress for another refurbishment. Creative St Helena organised a concert on 16th July 2017, featuring visiting Belgian organist Jérôme Giersé and local performers.

Organ 2005 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Organ, 2005

Organ stripped for restoration July 2009 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Organ stripped for restoration, July 2009

Restored end-July 2009 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Restored, end-July 2009

 

The Church of St. James forms the southern boundary of the square, and is a plain, unpretentious building.
St Helena, The Historic Island, From Its Discovery To The Present Date, by E. L. Jackson, published in 1905

Other views 

Windows renovated in 2003/4 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Windows, renovated in 2003/4

Interior view 2005 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Interior view, 2005

External view 2005 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
External view, 2005

Postage Stamp Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Postage Stamp

Closeup 2017 Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
Closeup, 2017

 

St. James’ Church Altar Saint Helena Island Info

An American Altar? 

Can anyone explain to us why the 6th word in the altar inscription (picture, right) is spelt the American way: ‘honor’?

All creatures, great and small 

On 23rd June 1861 a service at St. James’ was interrupted when hundreds of White Ants were found eating through a desk - and then the Bible.

Why was St. Paul’s the Cathedral? 

It is often asked why St. Paul’s was designated the Cathedral, and not the older and more prominent St. James’ Church. The answer lies in a letter written by Bishop Gray in 1866:

As to the Cathedral: It was because it was the generally expressed wish of the habitants that the Country Church should be made so, that it was named. My view would have been to have made St. James'; but I yielded to a general wish.

Read More 

More stories on our page Read articles about St Helena.
For a chronological summary of our island’s history please see our A Brief History page.
For the avoidance of doubt, you participate in any activities described herein entirely at your own risk.

Article: Surprise Package

By Cathy Hopkins, published in the St Helena Herald 1st March 2002{8}

How often do we get ‘late’ Christmas cards or is it that our friends are ‘early’ for this year? We can be sure that the mail will bring someone a surprise package and that certainly was the case for the St. James’ Church Restoration funds when a letter containing a donation from the parish of St. James The Great, Thorley, Bishops Stortford in the UK arrived in the last mail. The Tithing Committee of this church has sent £250 towards the Restoration project and Mrs Cathy Hopkins, Secretary of the St. James’ Church Restoration Action Group, has sent an Em message to the committee thanking them for their generosity and will be sending them some material about the church and the island in the next post.

A Parish newsletter from the church of St. James the Great is displayed in the porch of our church of St. James.

So what’s the connection between the two churches? We don’t know! Was it a Saint living there who mentioned the restoration project to the congregation? Or was it a cruise ship passenger returning home? We’d love to know of how they heard about our appeal for funds! Can anyone help??

Meanwhile at ‘home’, the Sponsored Scrabble on 19 February, was a very successful evening with 28 addicts enjoying a game or two. The first game was scored and, by kindness of the organisers, two dishes of fresh fruit were given to the top scorers of the evening. Following the games a bottle of wine was presented to Mrs Di Roberts as a thank you to her for her wonderful efforts in raising £135 in sponsorship.

All participants are requested to collect their money as soon as possible and hand it to Mrs Muriel Gardner or Mrs Dot Fagan. The total is expected to top £600! Thanks are extended to all everyone who supported this event.

Closing Humour Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church

Laugh at funny St. James’ Church humour LOL Saint Helena Island Info

See All creatures, great and small (above)


Credits:

{a} From ‘The Ringing World’ Magazine, the Official Journal of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers, No. 4874 24th September 2004 used with permission{8}.{b} Hubert Cornish{c} St Helena News Review, November 1980{8}{d} Denzil Ibbetson{e} G H Bellasis, 1815{f} Andy Simpson, via Facebook{g} Channelle Marais, via Facebook{h} Tourist Office



Footnotes:

{1} Also shows the monument to Dr. W. J. J. Arnold.{2} With some Classic Cars!{3} Read the book - all will be made clear!{4} The church was last painted in 1981, a smoky white. The light colour proved to be unsuitable as it highlighted dust and pollution from the streets and traffic.{5} Father of John Melliss.{6} Visibly shorter than the original. The original steeple was 69ft high.{7} Lightning is very rare on St Helena, but is not unknown.{8} Reproduced for educational non-commercial use only; all copyrights are acknowledged.



Take Me Anywhere But Here!

Translate this page using Google™ Translate Saint Helena Island Info St. James’ Church
translate traducir översätta vertalen übersetzen tradurre