Location map:
Location Map therun [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]

The Run

Think of it as a long, thin park

blank [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]

A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure. It offers a necessity of life that must be rationed among those who have power over it.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Every Capital City needs a river. Jamestown has ‘The Run’

This page is in indexes: Island Place, Island Detail

The Run [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]

Go to: RouteUse todayHistoryRead More

‘The Run’ is the name for the watercourse that runs through Jamestown. It is thought to be so-named because the water ‘run’s out to the sea…

Route

Plan of Jamestown, showing The Run [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]

The Run in upper Jamestown [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
The Run in upper Jamestown
The Run in lower Jamestown [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
The Run in lower Jamestown
Footbridge in lower Jamestown [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
Footbridge in lower Jamestown
The Run under Donny’s [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
The Run under Donny’s
Running cables [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
Running cables
Natural watercourses [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
Natural watercourses
Read ’s map, 1817 [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
Read’s map, 1817
Before The Market [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
Before The Market
1875 diagram [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
1875 diagram{a}
The Run in 1968 [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
The Run in 1968

The watercourse that becomes The Run starts on the slopes of Diana’s Peak, flows via Francis Plain to the top of the Heart Shaped Waterfall, then flows alongside the waterfall walk to a cistern at the top of town, just above the Hospital at New Bridge (a long time ago this was used as a swimming pool by the residents of upper Jamestown). This is the start of The Run.

It then flows enclosed but uncovered down the back of the houses on the east size of Market Street, all the way to just below the Duke of Edinburgh Playground. It is crossed by one road bridge, at Seales’ Corner, and many footbridges, some less formal (they are just planks or old doors).

It continues, covered, beneath The Bridge and The Market, then returns to being uncovered as it travels alongside Narra Backs until it reaches the Prison, where it is again enclosed, flowing beneath the museum and Leisure Park until it emerges at the bay, underneath Donny’s Bar.

Use today

The Run itself is merely a flow of water but an informal footpath runs the length of the un-covered part from the hospital down to the Duke of Edinburgh Playground. There are numerous access points along the way and The Run is used as a footpath for travelling up and down upper and middle Jamestown. It is surprisingly quiet and peaceful and provides an attractive alternative to walking along the Market Street main road. Being a supply of water in an otherwise dry area, it features abundant wildlife and wild plants.

Unfortunately not all of The Run’s users are always in the best condition:

At 6.00pm Police received a report that a man who was alleged to have been under the influence of alcohol had fallen in to The Run. He was taken to the Hospital and treated for minor injuries and later discharged himself.{b}

It is also a convenient duct for pipes and cables needing to connect upper and lower Jamestown.

There is a fine not exceeding £10,000 for dumping rubbish in The Run.

Flushing

Because of the warm climate in Jamestown, The Run could easily become foul and a breeding ground for mosquitos and other bugs, particularly in summer when the flow is lower. It also tends to collect litter. So every day at around 06:00h it is ‘flushed’ - the gate at the sluice behind the Hospital is opened, allowing a surge of water down The Run which clears away the debris.

The Run normally continues flowing all year round, though it does occasionally dry up, as it did in February 2001 when it had to be cleaned out manually, an unpleasant job.

In Saint-speak, ‘Flush down The Run’ is a term for Curry{2}.

Plans for the future

It has frequently been suggested, at least since 2000, that the uncovered section between The Market and The Prison, alongside Narra Backs, be covered and used to create more car parking for Jamestown. At present there are no plans for this.

‘Doing up’ The Run is frequently proposed, but no concrete plans have ever been discussed.

I often look up The Run and have a vision of how beautiful the area could be if only a certain amount of clearing and preparing bedding plots for pretty trees, shrubs, plants and flowers. Also if a series of small sluice gates or ramps were placed at various points down The Run, water could be flowing gently along and the whole place could quite cheaply become a much loved attraction. With seats and arbours and ‘Lovers’ chairs’ how glorious it could look.{c}

There seems to be general agreement that The Run could be made more attractive and useful, but nobody has yet come forward with a serious proposal for exactly what should be done.

History

Originally James Valley had a Y-shaped watercourse. Starting as a single flow at the top of town, somewhere around where The Market now stands it split into two, running down both the west and east sides of the valley to the sea. The eastern branch ran to the Wharf and water was collected for the use of ships in two cisterns, which have more recently been roofed and converted to buildings - one was formerly the Customs House{3} and the other was formerly The Mortary. The western fork just flowed to the sea.

The eastern fork was apparently still running in 1717. A minute in the Records{4} for 5th August notes that it watered the Government Garden (now Castle Gardens), and that several of the landowners on the same side of the valley were also watered by it and grew an abundance of lemons and other fruits. In 1782 Governor Skottowe had the eastern fork enclosed in lead pipes to improve the reliability of the flow to the wharf.

Read’s map of 1817 shows only the western branch, presumably because the eastern fork no longer flowed as an open stream. It is not known when the eastern flow was closed off; indeed the pipes may, at least in part, still be there! The map also shows The Run (in earlier times referred to as ‘The Channel’) flowing over the road at lower Market Street.

Until 1836 the fire brigade relied on The Run as a source of water. A deficiency in the same was one of the contributing factors in the Theatre burning down in 1831. Governor Dallas responded to this by installing ‘fireplugs’ throughout the town.

In the 1850s the entire flow from the top of town to the sea was enclosed in a basalt block-built channel, using rocks that were quarried from behind the present Prison. This became what we now know as The Run.

The aim in enclosing the flow was to reduce the risk of flooding. Indeed, a proposal to fully-cover The Run was opposed in February 1828, for fear that it would increase the risk of flooding. Despite this, The Run has on occasions failed to deal with the volume of water flowing down it, and flooding has occurred. At the beginning of the 1870s, when High Knoll Fort was being extended, it is said that the spoil from the works was just pushed over the side of the valley, landing in upper Jamestown and blocking The Run, leading to extensive flooding in September 1873{5}.

Flood Mark, 1878 {1} [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
Flood Mark, 1878{1}

Another serious flood occurred in April 1878, with two lives lost. On 8th May 1932 The Run burst its banks causing widespread flooding, especially in Market Square, though no loss of life. It flooded again in 2002, causing property-damage only, particularly at Donny’s.

The Run has remained largely unchanged since it was created. The cistern at New Bridge was not constructed until 1897, and safety rails were installed on the steep section near Old Brewery Yard in 2004.

An Ordinance from 1987{6} prohibits the keeping of livestock (“swine, goats, cattle, sheep, horses, donkeys or fowls”) within 500 yards either side of The Run. As the floor of James Valley is not 1,000 yards wide at any point, this makes the options for potential goatherds either the steep hillsides, or somewhere out of town!

During the 2016/17 drought the Run completely dried up:
Run completely dried up [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]{d}

Read More

Article: “Water, Water Everywhere, but where does it all go?

By Johnny Drummond, published in the St Helena Herald 26th April 2002{7}

Water - where does it go? [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
 
Water - where does it go? Olias Humphry [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
Olias Humphry
Water - where does it go? Old Cisterns [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
Old Cisterns
Water - where does it go? 1805 drawing [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]
1805 drawing

The saying ‘it never rains but it pours’ has been particularly true of the last few weeks of uncertain weather on the Island. One day it’s blazing with heat and sunshine the next it’s pouring with rain. Recent weekends have seen Napoleon Street{8} awash with mud, rain and rocks, which have caused householders great concern as to the safety of their properties especially those parts below road level. The PWSD and Fire & Rescue Service were called out to clear the road.

Questions cropped up on street corners amongst huddles of concerned ladies. “Where does all the water go?” they asked, “Are all the underground drains in Napoleon Street{8} completely blocked up?” People living further down in Main Street began to ask the same questions as none of the water appeared to be going down the available drains but continued onwards down to the Grand Parade leaving a carpet of pebbles and mud outside the Court House along with reddish alluvial streaks like auburn hair newly washed in a stream.

The Herald went off to investigate. It appears that underground drainage in Napoleon Street{8} has either been blocked off deliberately or is completely inadequate for the purpose of carrying off these periodic floods. The same situation exists in Main Street, which has no less than six drains on either side of the road for the purpose of taking rain water underground and directing it towards The Run, also presumably underground. There is no obvious evidence of any inlets to The Run that would suggest that this was the case. So what goes on under our City? No one appears to know.

Looking back over history and studying available maps, the oldest of which dates back to the 1800’s we know that The Run used to flow down the eastern side of the valley probably through what is now the Castle Gardens, where maps show an area of great cultivation 100 years earlier. This outflow served two purposes the main one of which was to provide adequate supplies of reasonably clean water to ships of which there were many in those days. The Herald discovered that the two domed buildings now known as The Old Mortuary and the Customs House a little further down were originally sealed reservoirs, which allowed ships to fill their barrels and people to drink by what was later known as Thompson’s Crane, which was then the main landing for such purposes.

As Jamestown developed The Run was diverted under the Bridge and channelled into it’s present course under the Market and down Narra Backs towards the sea.

In the early 1990’s, probably by accident and as a result of the replacement of a electrical pole or perhaps the erection of a pole to carry Christmas illuminations over the festive season, it was discovered that a substantial underground tunnel ran at least from the spot outside the Canister, so significantly marked by our very first Mini Roundabout, to a point just below Broadway House.

It would appear that the tunnel was fairly dry inside but there was some speculation that it may have acted as a storm drain. It seems that the extent of the tunnel at either end was not investigated. So what was it for, where does it go and if it’s of any use why aren’t we still using it now? A local historian has suggested that well before the fountain{9} was erected a ‘sump-house’ stood on the site and gathered inflows from The Run, which could settle for proper human consumption as well as serving visiting ships via a more complex method than existed before The Run was diverted.

Another man of great experience of drainage in Jamestown maintains that at the bottom end of the tunnel it was directed to the left possibly along Church Lane and under some of the buildings and then into The Run. But no one knows for sure. Some of the underground drains in lower Jamestown are completely blocked, either by design or by years of neglect, and the only evidence of water presence is a luxuriant growth of grass and other less desirable flora, struggling skyward from the dampish earth through the bars of their subterranean gaols.

We are in the process of laying underground water mains through Jamestown, which will provide the freshest of water to the inhabitants of the town. Work is progressing at an excellent pace and hats off to the men working on the project, but what is happening to all the water not fit for human consumption, which is currently flowing into the sea and apart from ‘down The Run’ has nowhere else to go but down Main Street? The history of this town is amazing above the ground but what goes on underground seems to be anyone’s guess.

The Herald came across the following reminders from the past as a result of a brief perusal of the Records{4}, Letters to England:

May 23rd, 1797 - a most uncommon and extraordinary fall of Rain happened in the early part of the morning of 25th last month, which occasioned the largest and most awful Flood ever remembered. Many Farms seriously damaged particularly in Sandy bay. Several of the Fortifications injured.
Feb. 13th, 1828 - Mr Prince applies to cover over The Run by the Bazaar [what are now The Standard, Souvenir Shop and Musk’s Shop{10}]. Mr Torbett objects. States that Water Spouts frequently break over the Island, that one about sixty years ago did happen which did choke the Water Course at the Bridge and the Flood broke over with great violence into the Main Street, which did much damage.

More stories [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]

More stories on our page Read articles about St Helena.

closinghumourimage [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]

Laugh at funny run humour - LOL [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]


Credits:

{a} John Melliss from ‘St Helena: A Physical, Historical and Topographical Description of the Island, including the Geology, Fauna, Flora and Meteorology’, by John Melliss, published in 1875

{b} St Helena Herald, 28th March 2003{7}

{c} Julian Cairns-Wicks, writing in the St Helena Herald, 6th June 2003{7}

{d} Marian Yon



Footnotes:

{1} On the Arch in Grand Parade, Jamestown.

{2} It is probably best not to consider the implications of this on the pre-Sewage System arrangements in Jamestown.

{3} The blue building shown at the top of our Historic Buildings page.

{4} The St Helena Records is a collection of documents dating back to the earliest days of St Helena, held in the Government of St Helena Archives. The Archives can be accessed in person or via email - see our Family And Friends page for more. You can search our events database, extracted from the Records and other sources, on our Chronology page.

{5} Swept down The Run and into the bay were cast-iron troughs, donkeys and even a woman, who was apparently saved from drowning by her voluminous Victorian skirts.

{6} The Public Health (Jamestown) Regulations 1987, to be precise.

{7} Reproduced for educational non-commercial use only; all copyrights are acknowledged

{8} We understand that prior to Napoleon’s exile Napoleon Street was known as Cock Street. We do not know exactly when it was renamed. The moonbeamsforall.com • Moonbeams Shop • opens in a new window or tab [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]Moonbeams Shop is in Napoleon Street.

{9} The The Rockfall Memorial Fountain.

{10} Currently The Standard, a Solomon’s Shop and the Bank of St Helena.



• ALL PAGES:

• PAGE SEARCH: Type search word(s) and click ‘Search’:

• GOOGLE™ SITE SEARCH:

 

Take Me Anywhere But Here!


PLEASE NOTE: We actively encourage others to quote from this site. Please see our Link To Us page for more.

Got a question about St Helena? We’ve already answered many common questions on our ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ page, including:  but if your question isn’t covered please contact us.

This site is sponsored by the moonbeamsforall.com • Moonbeams Shop • opens in a new window or tab [Saint Helena Island Info:The Run]Moonbeams Shop, selling cards, gifts & souvenirs in Jamestown, St Helena.

 

Please note that content featured below is not provided by Saint Helena Island Info,
and will only work if JavaScript is enabled in your browser.