blank
 
 

 

blank

Historic Buildings In Brief - Country

A sample

blank

Where the English settle they first build a Punch house, the Dutch a Fort and the Portuguese a Church.
Attributed to Governor Janisch, 1885

St Helena has many historic buildings. The ones here are only introduced - to learn more, just explore them!

This page is in indexes: Island Structures, Island History, Island Activity, Island Detail

Bertrand’s Cottage Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Bertrand’s Cottage

This page should be read in conjunction with our Historic Buildings page, which goes into more detail about our more significant historic buildings and links to pages describing many more, and our Historic Buildings In Brief - Jamestown page which introduces Jamestown buildings.

Below: Signal HouseBoer CemetaryQuarantine Station, Lemon ValleyBertrand’s CottageThree TanksHay Town HousePrince’s LodgeClifftop HouseFarm LodgeRead More

Signal House

Location map:
Location Map ladderhillfort Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

Signal House consists of the Signal Room, perched directly at the edge of the cliff, and the bungalow behind it, which was the home of the signal man. It is within the walled compound of the Ladder Hill Complex.

Photos taken by John Lilley during the 1860s show no house where Signal House now stands (left, below). They do show a small stone shed that could be the core of this house. An 1877 illustration from ‘The Graphic’, showing this same piece of land, appears to show a building very similar to Signal House. Thus, it seems that the house in its near to present form was built some time between 1863 and 1877.

From 1929 to 1933, Signal House was occupied by the Corporal of Signals, Bert Bolwell, and his wife. Her memoirs are summarised on our Memories of St Helena page. The signal gun was restored in 2007.

The Union Flag is flown over Signal House whenever the RMS St Helena, a Cruise Ship or other visiting ship is in the harbour (right).

The Signal House at Ladder Hill should not be confused with the one above Prosperous Bay, more properly known as the Prosperous Bay Signal Station.

Union Flag Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Union Flag

Signal House with flagpole Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Signal House with flagpole

Lilley ’s photo Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Lilley’s photo

Harbour from Signal House Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Harbour from Signal House

Boer Cemetary

Location map:
Location Map boercemetary Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

The Anglican Church refused to bury in consecrated ground the Boer prisoners who died in captivity, declaring them to be ‘heathens’ and ‘enemies of Her Majesty’. However the Baptist Church granted ground and the nearby church building was also put at the disposal of the prisoners for their religious services. 167 Prisoners are buried here. The two granite monuments record the grave numbers, names and ages of the dead. Knollcombes is a short walk from Plantation House. The church remains in use to this day.

The Boer prisoners ’ cemetery Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
The Boer prisoners’ cemetery

Quarantine Station, Lemon Valley

Location map:
Location Map lemonvalley Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

The quarantine station at Lemon Valley housed some of the liberated slaves who were found to be suffering from Smallpox.

Lemon Valley Quarantine Station Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Lemon Valley Quarantine Station

Bertrand’s Cottage

Location map:
Location Map longwoodhouse Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

General Henri Gatien Bertrand and his family were loyal supporters of Napoleon Bonaparte during his exile on St Helena. In 1816 Bertrand and his family built a residence just across the road from Longwood House, moving in on 20th October 1816. After Napoleon’s death and the Bertrand’s departure the building became a farm house, hence its alternate name of Longwood Farmhouse. When Longwood House passed into French ownership in 1858, Bertrand’s Cottage remained in the hands of the Government of St Helena. It was used as accommodation for Government staff until recently. Some say it is haunted.

The building was recently converted by the Government of St Helena into a Government-owned restaurant with bed-and-breakfast accommodation with the title Bertrand’s Cottage Limited.

Bertrand’s Cottage Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Bertrand’s Cottage{a}

Bertrand’s Cottage 1974 Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Bertrand’s Cottage, 1974

Bertrand’s Cottage Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Bertrand’s Cottage

Three Tanks

Location map:
Location Map threetanks Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

The old water storage tanks at ‘Three Tanks’, Half Tree Hollow, installed in 1916. The image (right) shows the maker’s information in more detail.

Three Tanks Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Three Tanks

Maker’s info Three Tanks Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Maker’s info, Three Tanks

Hay Town House

Location map:
Location Map haytownhouse Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

In 1862, a scheme by Governor Drummond Hay to start a new housing development in Rupert’s Valley, made possible with the establishment of a reliable water supply piped into the valley from The Briars, never quite took off, and so the Hay Town area is at best a hamlet rather than an actual town. It encompasses the place where the South Atlantic Cable came ashore in 1899, and the site of the 1902 desalination plant. Hay Town House was one of the few houses actually built, together with some stone cottages, only a few of which remain. Stones on the front façades are as shown (right){2}. The photo (left) also shows modern developments.

Hay Town House is a large square two-storey house, with three bays on the front façade, and two on the side. The interior walls are stone rather than partition, and there is a central entry hallway leading to two symmetrical reception rooms. A verandah extends along the south side of the house.

Hay Town House is on the east side of Rupert’s Valley, facing west.

Hay Town House (the two-storey building) Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Hay Town House (the two-storey building)

Hay Town Plaque #1 Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Hay Town Plaque #1

Hay Town Plaque #2 Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Hay Town Plaque #2

Prince’s Lodge

Location map:
Location Map princeslodge Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

Often written as Princes Lodge, its date of origin is uncertain and in 1814 carried the name Knoll Cottage, due to its proximity to High Knoll Fort. According to the Records the land was leased in 1814 to W Brabazon, Master Attendant (i.e. Harbour Master). It then passed to Shortis, Superintendent of Works, then Barker the farmer, and finally to one Richard Prince, a member of the firm of W & J Prince, of London. However, a plaque set in the side of the house reads: RICHARD PRINCE, 1808. We assume the plaque to be a later addition and the Records to be correct.

(Richard Prince himself is interesting - he came to the island in 1813 from Cape Town, to settle debts owed by Solomon, Dickson, Taylor & Company. He was ordered off the island in both 1815 and 1816, but in neither case did he actually leave and eventually acquired a number of properties, including Farm Lodge.)

Prince’s Lodge was the residence of Governor Harper from 1925-1932, and owned by HW Solomon (the last country residence of the Solomon family) until April 1961 when it was bought by the Bishop of St Helena and used as his residence (‘Bishopsholme’) until 1999. In 1999 ownership passed to Robin Castell. It was refurbished and some more recent additions removed, and since April 2000 has housed the Castell Collection of historic prints of St Helena (claimed to be the largest collection of St Helena pictures in the world).

The house is set in the upper reaches of Clay Gut, almost opposite the road up to High Knoll Fort. The house has two stories, five bay windows and has a two story back projection that runs the length of the house and projects at the sides. Following the recent refurbishment it now has 20th Century casement windows, and is surrounded by a spacious ground floor verandah and patio. The internal layout has the classic central entry hall and symmetrical reception rooms on the sides.

The building and/or grounds can be hired for special occasions.

Princes Lodge Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Princes Lodge

Princes Lodge (from High Knoll Fort) Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Princes Lodge (from High Knoll Fort)

Castell Collection Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Castell Collection

Event 2014 Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Event, 2014

Pre-restoration 1980 Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Pre-restoration, 1980

Clifftop House

Location map:
Location Map ladderhillfort Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

Clifftop House is perched on the cliff overlooking Jamestown, and a room built on the cliff-edge provides a spectacular view (see the view from Jamestown, left).

Thought to have been built in the latter half of the 19th Century, Clifftop House is architecturally similar to nearby Verandah Quarters and Bleak House, also echoing the style of older houses on the island. Two storeys high with five bays and only one room deep on the ground floor, the central door leads to an entrance hall, with the two reception rooms on either side. Double half-light dutch doors open onto the two storey verandah. The front façade is exposed basalt ashlar and the sides and the back are rubble stone. The kitchen is in the outbuildings at the back.

Like the other houses in this area, Clifftop House is associated with the garrison based at Ladder Hill, being quarters for a senior officer while the ‘ranks’ were barracked within the fort. It is most likely the house that Mrs. Bolwell refers to as ‘Town View’. It is owned by the Government of St Helena and for many years has been used to house ex-pat government staff. In March 2017 the Government of St Helena invited tenders for refurbishing the house.

There is a Trophy Bird colony in the cliff below the house, but the endemic Cliff Top Grasseragrostis episcopulus is not named after the house; it just grows on cliff tops!

Clifftop House Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Clifftop House

From Jamestown Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
From Jamestown

c.1900 Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
c.1900{1}

Farm Lodge

Location map:
Location Map farmlodge Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

On the edge of Rosemary Plain, Farm Lodge is set in 10 acres of arable land. The house faces north-northeast, overlooking the plain.

It is currently a two-storey, five-bay house, one room deep, with a first floor veranda and sash windows. A chimney is located at the east end with a central entry hall and reception rooms to right and left.

Built in the 1690s as an East India Company Planter{3}’s house, at the time of Napoleon’s exile it was at the time still a single-storey house. Napoleon expressed a wish to live there but Governor Lowe decided it would be too difficult to secure. In the mid-19th Century it was sold to the Moss family, close friends and in-laws to Saul Solomon and his family and also partners in Solomon, Gideon & Moss. It is thought the Moss family added the 2nd storey.

Some time in the 1970s it was bought by then-Governor Geoffrey Colin Guy and occupied by him and his wife from his retirement in 1981 until April 1986. Farm Lodge was bought by Steve & Maureen Biggs in 1995 and converted into a Hotel, which opened in 1999 and continues in business today. It also still operates as a farm, producing food for hotel consumption and also coffee.

Farm Lodge Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Farm Lodge

With stars! Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
With stars!

Princess Anne 2002 Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Princess Anne, 2002

Showing farm 1961 Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
Showing farm, 1961{b}

Read More

More stories on our page Read articles about St Helena.

Article: Dear Editor

By Julian Cairns-Wickes, published in the St Helena News 5th January 2000{4}

I am completely mystified at what is happening to/at Plantation House. The manner in which its prime use was so recently replaced by tented occupation was bad enough but now I understand that an early and useful Toilet Fitment has been removed. This early porcelain Gentlemen’s Toilet Self Flush Urinal had been strategically and most usefully positioned within easy reach of the reception rooms and was most certainly a feature of sufficient interest to be looked upon as an integral part of the Island Heritage being held on trust by the present transitory occupants of Plantation House.

How is it that although this is a listed building, various modifications can be made apparently on the whim of some person who clearly has no regard for tradition and things of interest which should be (and would become) part of our heritage. I also would be very interested to find out who authorised this work to be carried out without that person having sought the approval of the Historical Society (or any other Island body) or showing due regard to the fact that it is a most Historic Building and should be allowed to have certain warts and blemishes as part of its genuine character.

Julian Cairns-Wicks, Market Street, Jamestown

Closing Humour Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country

Laugh at funny Historic Buildings In Brief Country humour LOL Saint Helena Island Info


Credits:

{a} Tourist Office

{b} Copyright © 1962 Film Unit, used with permission{4}.



Footnotes:

{1} With Observatory, demolished c.1938.

{2} It is not apparent who ‘GDB’ and ‘LAH’ might have been. Maybe the original owners?

{3} The original term for the Settlers, from 1659 onwards and still in use in the 19th Century. When slaves were emancipated they were given the status of Planters (but no financial means to acquire any land to plant).

{4} Reproduced for educational non-commercial use only; all copyrights are acknowledged.



• GOOGLE™ SITE SEARCH:

Take Me Anywhere But Here!

 

Translate this page using Google™ Translate Saint Helena Island Info Historic Buildings In Brief Country
traducir översätta vertalen übersetzen tradurre