Loading, please wait.
If you have Javascript disabled in your browser (not recommended) this message will not close - please ignore it.

 

Location map:
Location Map stpauls

St Pauls

The Heartland of St Helena

Go where he will, the wise man is at home; His hearth the earth, his hall the azure dome.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

St Pauls is the heartland of St Helena, and yet it remains largely untouched by the events of history.

 

Please note: this page is about the district. For the Cathedral see our St. Paul’s Cathedral page.

St Pauls

Below: About St Pauls • St Pauls in pictures • Stay here? • Francis Plain • Friar • Future

About St Pauls

Around 19% of the island’s population lives within the St Pauls area{4}, making it the second most populous district (after Half Tree Hollow). Housing areas include New Ground (a westerly extension of Half Tree Hollow), Cleugh’s Plain, Guinea Grass, Rosemary Plain, St Pauls Village (surrounding the cathedral), Luffkins, The Gumwoods, Kunjie Field and many other smaller settlements. And yet very little of the island’s history happened here. No battles were fought here; the Dutch invaders in 1672 passed through it; nobody significant landed at Lemon Valley and no great political decisions were taken here.

Song: ‘Visit Lemon Valley’

Click here to hear this audio file

Click To listen

Lemon Valley is a popular swimming and recreational area, best reached by a short boat ride from Jamestown and therefore included in many Dolphin-watching trips.

Nowadays the island’s main leisure facility is here - Francis Plain (see below).

Significant buildings include: Plantation House, home of the Governor of St Helena and (arguably more importantly) also of Jonathan the tortoise, probably the world’s oldest animal; Prince Andrew School, the island’s secondary school; and St. Paul’s Cathedral, the island’s only cathedral church, from which the district takes its name.

Radio St Helena’s studios were at Pouncey’s during its years of operation, 1967-2012. The building has been stripped out but, as at the time of writing, the antennas remain and the building is unused, though it is thought it may be used for social housing.

St Pauls in pictures

Houses in St Pauls
Houses in St Pauls

Plantation House, the Governor’s home
Plantation House, the Governor’s home

Countryside
Countryside{a}

Jonathan the tortoise
Jonathan the tortoise{b}

‘Built-up area’
‘Built-up area’

Radio St Helena, 1967-2012
Radio St Helena, 1967-2012

St. Paul’s Cathedral
St. Paul’s Cathedral

Farm Lodge Hotel
Farm Lodge Hotel

St. Martin-in-the-Hills, High Point
St. Martin-in-the-Hills, High Point

 

Stay here?

From our Where To Stay page:

St Pauls is the next place up the road from Half Tree Hollow, so also close to Jamestown. Our only up-country hotel is in St Pauls, as well as many self-catering flats/houses and bed-and-breakfast opportunities. St Pauls is in the centre of the island, so well connected to everywhere. Jamestown is a 15 minute drive away. Not much actually happens in St Pauls but it is a good base if the bustle of Jamestown is not for you.

Francis Plain

Francis Plain sign

Formerly the Water Fall Plain. Referred to in 1692 as Henry Francis land neere High Water Fall and neere the Peake Hill. The name seems to have stuck!

The Plain remained private property and was, presumably, used as grazing land. In 1816 it was hired as an encampment for troops. In 1823 it was bought by the Government of St Helena.

In 1825 it was the H.Q. of the St Helena Militia. There was an armoury, officer’s mess and convalescent hospital. It was sold to the Thorpe family sometime after that, but with a reservation ensuring its continuing use as a public recreation ground and as a place for exercising the troops. It is now again owned by the Government of St Helena.

The Plain was levelled by the Royal Engineers in 1975/8 and opened by Governor Geoffrey Guy as a sports ground on 31st January 1979. It is now used by the public as the island’s sports field and is also used by Prince Andrew School and for major events and celebrations.

Cricket on Francis Plain
Cricket on Francis Plain

From High Knoll Fort
From High Knoll Fort

Francis Plain in use for an event {1}
Francis Plain in use for an event{1}

Sports
Sports

Google Earth™ view of Francis Plain
Google Earth™ view of Francis Plain

1961, before levelling (Cricket Match in progress)
1961, before levelling (Cricket Match in progress)

1960s again
1960s again{c}

 

Francis Plain House

If there were Historic Buildings on Francis Plain they have almost all been lost. The only one remaining is Francis Plain House. It is not known exactly when it was built but it existed at the time of Napoleon’s exile - indeed Governor Wilks suggested it as a suitable place for the residence of Napoleon.

It passed to the Government of St Helena in 1823 with the rest of Francis Plain. In 1825 it is recorded as being leased to a Mr. Lorimer. It was occupied by Dinuzulu and his immediate family from 1895 until his departure in 1897 and it then became a Government dwelling for many years. Since 1988 it has been the staff room of Prince Andrew School.

Plain & House, c.1900 {2}
Plain & House, c.1900{2}

House close-up, c.1900
House close-up, c.1900

Francis Plain House 1974
Francis Plain House 1974{d}

Now part of Prince Andrew School {3}
Now part of Prince Andrew School{3}

 

The Friar

The Friar
The Friar

Between Young’s Valley and Lemon Valley lies Friars Valley, and the ridge between Friars and Lemon Valleys is Friars Ridge, the highlight of which is The Friar - a pile of stones about four metres high, worn, weather-beaten, and lichen-covered. When viewed from a distance it is said to resemble a cloaked and hooded figure.

Local legend explains this formation as follows:

The place where the Friar now stands was supposed once to have been the site of a Roman Catholic Chapel, adjoining which was the home of the officiating priest, a Franciscan monk of great piety and humility. The monk spent his life performing acts of charity, attending the sick and relieving the oppressed. One day while out walking the Friar came across a local girl, herding goats. Such was her beauty that the Friar fell immediately in love with her. Repeatedly he visited her, telling of his love. Finally she agreed to marry him, but only one one condition - that he renounce his vocation and convert to her non-Catholic faith. For a long time the Friar struggled with his conscience but in the end he decided to abandon his faith and marry the girl. The ceremony was performed in the local chapel. The service was read, and just as the bridegroom took her hand, the chapel was smashed to pieces by a falling boulder, killing all inside. In its place stands the gaunt image of the grim friar, an example and a sad warning to those who allow their passions to prevail over their better judgment.

Or it’s just an interestingly-shaped volcanic remnant…

Friars Rock, 1815
Friars Rock, 1815

Friar Rock
Friar Rock{e}

 

Map locating The Friar

The Future

There are no plans for any significant developments in the St Pauls area. More land will doubtless be acquired for housing, but apart from that it seems St Pauls is not scheduled to change for the foreseeable future and history will continue to pass it by…

JamestownHalf Tree HollowSt PaulsLongwoodAlarm ForestBlue HillLevelwoodSandy Bay

Districts of St Helena

Alarm Forest • Blue Hill • Half Tree Hollow • Jamestown • Levelwood • Longwood • Sandy Bay • St Pauls • Maps of St Helena

Laugh at funny St Pauls humour - LOL

Credits:
{a} St Helena Travel on Facebook™{b} Tourist Office{c} Paul McCartney, Hobart, Australia{5}.{d} Crallan Report{e} From Views of St Helena, by G.W. Melliss{6}, published in 1857

Footnotes:
{1} An agricultural show, on the occasion of the visit of Anne, The Princess Royal in 2002.{2} Francis Plain House is the building to the left of centre, surrounded by gardens. Also clearly visible above is Alarm House.{3} Francis Plain House (the school staff room) is the older building at the right-hand end of the middle tier. The bank resulting from the levelling of the plain in 1979 is also clearly seen.{4} 2016 Census: 843 from a total population of 4,534.{5} Paul’s father was the island’s doctor in the 1960s and Paul accompanied him here. Paul visited St Helena in June 2018 and kindly gave us permission to use these family photographs.{6} Father of John Melliss.

Full NAVIGATION requires that you have Javascript enabled in your browser.

PLACE Go to: Place pages index
INFORMATION Go to: Information pages index

You may also find useful: • Subject Index • Site Index

About This Site • Introduction • Where is • Visitor Information • Pictures • Information Index • On This Day • Information Pages • Subject Index • Community Pages • FAQ • Downloads • Contact • Link to us • Related Sites • Legal • More Navigation Options • Site Index